Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Where Your Loyalty Lies

In our previous class there was a lot of discussion on the two elements presented. Truth and loyalty to citizens. We tried to define what is truth. It was said that by being objective we can miss some versions of the truth.

My thoughts were focused mainly on loyalty to the citizens. The triangle drawn on the board in class showed relationships between employers and journalists, journalists and citizens, and the citizens with employers.

A large majority of students believe in the idealistic way of journalism. Journalists need to be loyal to citizens first, and employers later. And while this is my hope, that I can serve the citizens first, I do not think it is entirely realistic.

Journalism is now a business. Stockholders want profit and prosperity. Our field is changing. Newspapers are said to become extinct in the future. People are relying more on the web and blogs. Newspapers and broadcasting crews are laying off employees.

So, if it comes down to put the citizen first or employer's wants first on occasion, if you want to feed your family and keep your job, is there really a choice? There are only so many times you can quit and get another job somewhere else. As a journalist, if your lucky, maybe you'll stumble upon an employer who is willing to give you free reign.

My point is I expect eventually in my career, I am going to face a situation where I will have to lay my loyalties with my employer instead of consumers. Will I quit if it happens occasionally? Probably not. If it is a consistent problem, then I would strongly consider quitting.

Can you afford to quit every time? Will employers see your past actions as unreliable and not hire you?

Journalism is a business, and we can do the best of our abilities to bring the people of America honest, reliable journalism.

2 comments:

maryjane said...

That's a really good question and it is something we all have to consider early on in our careers. I think we have to be prepared for those situations which may require us to make a career changing decision.

Courtney said...

All we can do is our best right? I think if we are asked to do something morally wrong, we'll know it and of course not every situation is black and white. But I do think that once we get out into the real world and start our careers we'll be able to judge what's right and wrong a little more clearly.